Colwyn Bay Victoria Sea Angling Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Colwyn Bay Victoria Sea Angling Club

Sea Angling in North Wales

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

help needed

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
brockster

brockster

help needed Empty
PostSubject: help needed   help needed Empty13th April 2008, 10:00 am

"Anglers, like everyone else, should observe the Rules of the Road, but in addition they have to show proper signals of shapes when at anchor or fishing."
can someone give me some info on the above Question

(quote taken from small boat guidelines.)
Back to top Go down
gary

gary

help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: help needed   help needed Empty13th April 2008, 6:43 pm

Hi Brockster
In my opinion some of that information may be a bit dated but having said that nearly all the advice is still valid, i am not aware of any signals that should be displayed when at anchor, but most of the club boats have long vhf airials usually fixed to a gantry with a flag of some discription flying on the top which would give some visual warning when anchored, this could be of use when fishing at anchor when there is a ground swell running.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: help needed   help needed Empty13th April 2008, 7:46 pm

There must be plenty of boat safety links out there - the ones below contain good advice http://www.bristolchannelangling.co.uk/index.htm - http://www.boat-angling.co.uk/Hints_and_Tips/boat_equipment.htm - but there are many more.

But, from previous experience fishing in deep water when wreck fishing etc. especially near any shipping lanes different rules may apply - see http://www.cvs1.co.uk/wyenavigation/d.html.

Good advice to anglers in smaller boats fishing anywhere near these areas is to have a Radar Reflector as high as possible.

Hope with helps.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: help needed   help needed Empty13th April 2008, 8:03 pm

Been doing a little more research for you and I think I have found what you are looking for. Anchor lights and signals may apply in certain areas - where, I do not know, but the below refers to Plymouth area so assume similar rules/by-laws apply in areas of heavy shipping movement. The advice on our small boats was taken from the internat so it is useful information to be aware of but will not apply in some areas.

https://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1999/99202902.htm

Narrow channels
2. For the purposes of the Collision Regulations and Rule 13 of this Schedule all the navigable waters of the Dockyard Port north of 50°20'.00 North, that is to say the line passing through Plymouth Breakwater in an east-west direction, shall be deemed to be a 'narrow channel'.

Anchor and other lights and signals (exemptions) etc
3. - (1) Unmanned vessels and vessels with only shipkeepers on board, where secured to moorings out of the fairway, may be exempted by the Queen's Harbour Master from the necessity of carrying anchor lights.

(2) Vessels carrying cargoes of hazardous, dangerous or noxious substances as defined in Regulation 8 of the 1987 Regulations when anchored, moored, or secured alongside within the Dockyard Port shall, in addition to the lights and shapes prescribed in Rule 30 of the Collision Regulations, display the following lights or signals:
(a) between sunset and sunrise, a red all round light visible for 2 nautical miles situated above any other light being displayed by the vessel;

(b) between sunrise and sunset, a red swallow-tailed flag (International Flag Bravo) at the masthead which shall also be displayed when the vessel is underway.
(3) Submarines secured to buoys within the Dockyard Port shall, without prejudice to any requirement prescribed by Rule 30 of the Collision Regulations, display between sunset and sunrise an all round amber light, flashing at a frequency of between 90 and 105 flashes per minute.
Back to top Go down
brockster

brockster

help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: help needed   help needed Empty13th April 2008, 8:58 pm

thanks for the reply's chaps cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: help needed   help needed Empty29th April 2008, 6:42 pm

One addition to the markes etc. on anchor ropes etc.

Click on the picture I took last night (below) and you should see the orange (what look like )markers on the morring ropes of the Svanen out of Rhos

[img]help needed Svanen12[/img]

john
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: help needed   help needed Empty

Back to top Go down

help needed
Page 1 of 1