Colwyn Bay Victoria Sea Angling Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Colwyn Bay Victoria Sea Angling Club

Sea Angling in North Wales

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Headlamps (which one)

Go down 
+5
wayne mcgill
Tony
Kev
DOGGER
Dan
9 posters
AuthorMessage
gary

gary

Headlamps (which one) Empty
PostSubject: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty4th November 2008, 9:58 pm

Thinking of buying a new headlamp to replace the miners lamp i have been using for the last 15+ years, it's served me pretty well but is a bit on the heavy side and not that comfortable, the thing is i dont really know which lamp to go for but it needs to be fairly lightweight and comfortable so i thought i would ask you guys for recommendations, what are you using and are you happy with it Question are the new LED lamps any good, any advice much appreciated.

Last edited by gary on 7th January 2009, 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty5th November 2008, 8:37 am

gary wrote:
Thinking of buying a new headlamp to replace the miners lamp i have been using for the last 15+ years, it's served me pretty well but is a bit on the heavy side and not that comfortable, the thing is i dont really know which lamp to go for but it needs to be fairly lightweight and comfortable so i thought i would ask you guys for recommendations, what are you using and are you happy with it Question are the new LED lamps any good, any advice much appreciated.
I've got a Tiga headlamp,there prob the same weight as a miners 1 (powered by a small 6v motorbike type batt) it kicks off a hell of a lot of light(realy powerfull). It depends how much you want to spend on 1, i think the tigas are over £100 i bought mine 4 years ago and had no trouble with it.The led/lcd lamps that are out these days are good aswell (good value for money) and are plenty bright enough, prob similar to your miners 1.But i've never had 1 so i can't tell you any more about them Very Happy If you want to have look a my tiga 1 let no and i'll pop it round next time i pass yours Gary
Back to top Go down
DOGGER

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty5th November 2008, 5:59 pm

the new tiga comes with a lighter battery but the price is up in the clouds, if you want to see what your doing while baiting up or tying hooks the led ones will do .if you need to see 50 yards then the tigas the one to go for
Back to top Go down
gary

gary

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty5th November 2008, 7:09 pm

How many hours light do you get on the tiga with a full charge and is there a high and low output on them, thanks for the offer Dan but come to think of it the lamp that Gwynie bought last year may be a tiga, i will get down there and have a look at his, thanks for the advice Dogger & Dan.
Back to top Go down
DOGGER

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty5th November 2008, 7:21 pm

the tigas got high and low tested mine it lasts 7 hours on low with 4 min blasts on high power every hour think it lasts 2 and a half on high only but you run the risk of burning your hands on it if you do
Back to top Go down
DOGGER

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty21st November 2008, 8:21 pm

got a petzl zoom here if you want to try one alot cheaper and lighter but not as much light
Back to top Go down
Kev

Kev

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty21st November 2008, 11:31 pm

Ive got a Tiga, but it aint the comfiest.

However, beggars cant be choosers, and im more than happy with paying nothing for it. cheers

Is the Welsh Fed raffle on again this year??? lol!
Back to top Go down
wayne mcgill
Serial Blanker
wayne mcgill

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty23rd November 2008, 8:41 pm

alright gary mate, take a look at the MFA headlight its a lightweight batt with 3 brightness settings, i find the bright setting far to bright for fishing it really gives off a good white light i stick to the middle setting an one charge will do 3 fishing trips. They go out at £63.95 an its a LED lamp. Wink
Back to top Go down
gary

gary

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty23rd November 2008, 8:51 pm

Cheers for the info on the MFA Wayne, does it have a decent beam and where did you buy yours from Question
Back to top Go down
Tony

Tony

PostSubject: Headlamp   Headlamps (which one) Empty23rd November 2008, 11:29 pm

gary wrote:
Thinking of buying a new headlamp to replace the miners lamp i have been using for the last 15+ years, it's served me pretty well but is a bit on the heavy side and not that comfortable, the thing is i dont really know which lamp to go for but it needs to be fairly lightweight and comfortable so i thought i would ask you guys for recommendations, what are you using and are you happy with it Question are the new LCD lamps any good, any advice much appreciated.

I use a MFA '3 watt' LED Headlamp. Provides 5 -25 hours of light from a full charge. 3 settings High, Medium and Low. Normal use is medium and that's quite bright. The beam is about 30m-50m. It works for me. Bought it from Gerry's of Morcambe, advertises in the mags and does mail order normally free postage.

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
wayne mcgill
Serial Blanker
wayne mcgill

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty24th November 2008, 9:13 pm

Tony wrote:
gary wrote:
Thinking of buying a new headlamp to replace the miners lamp i have been using for the last 15+ years, it's served me pretty well but is a bit on the heavy side and not that comfortable, the thing is i dont really know which lamp to go for but it needs to be fairly lightweight and comfortable so i thought i would ask you guys for recommendations, what are you using and are you happy with it Question are the new LCD lamps any good, any advice much appreciated.

I use a MFA '3 watt' LED Headlamp. Provides 5 -25 hours of light from a full charge. 3 settings High, Medium and Low. Normal use is medium and that's quite bright. The beam is about 30m-50m. It works for me. Bought it from Gerry's of Morcambe, advertises in the mags and does mail order normally free postage.

Hope this helps

tony has answered it for me gary thanks T. they are a really goog lamp mate good beam as well think i got mine off the pier a while ago,try google loads of shops will stock them.
Back to top Go down
gary

gary

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty24th November 2008, 11:02 pm

Thanks for the advice lads, looks like the MFA 3 watt is the popular choice, would that be the mark 4 model i see Gerry's are knocking them out at £59-95, i did look at the Princeton tech 3 watt but the batteries are incorporated into the headband on that model, i think i would prefer the battery pack on your belt, thanks again lads Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Gaz

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty25th November 2008, 12:45 pm

The night searcher Matrix is another option rechargeable at around £45 3 led's and one luxor rendeer
Back to top Go down
gary

gary

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty26th November 2008, 7:45 pm

Thanks for the info Gaz Smile
Back to top Go down
gary

gary

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty30th December 2008, 12:13 am

Thanks for all the advice lads, took the plunge tonight and ordered a princeton apex led lamp for about £55 inclusive of postage from USA, hope there is no import duty, this is the latest model apparently and produces 130 lumens compared to 80 lumens on the previous model so hopefully i have made the right choice, reading the bumf it has a beam of in excess of 100mtrs, we shall see, when i have received it and used it a bit i will report back on here to give my opinion on it's performance.
Back to top Go down
andy g

andy g

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty30th December 2008, 7:47 pm

Very Happy good choice mate,i just got one of the 80 ones for the lad,very bright and light as well,my bro chris got one from the usa,think it cost him £15 import duty Sad
Back to top Go down
chris g

chris g

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty2nd January 2009, 10:13 am

gary wrote:
Thanks for all the advice lads, took the plunge tonight and ordered a princeton apex led lamp for about £55 inclusive of postage from USA, hope there is no import duty, this is the latest model apparently and produces 130 lumens compared to 80 lumens on the previous model so hopefully i have made the right choice, reading the bumf it has a beam of in excess of 100mtrs, we shall see, when i have received it and used it a bit i will report back on here to give my opinion on it's performance.
as andy said gary i got one from the usa £39 with p&p bargain but then got a card off the postman saying you owe use £13.86 dutys or we cant deliver still a bargain though coz at the time they were £69.99 over here
Back to top Go down
gary

gary

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty2nd January 2009, 4:24 pm

Hi Chris
I did ask the guy selling the lamp to label the package ( gift ) whether he did i will find out shortly, apparently this is a way to avoid import duty but this is yet to be proven. It was a toss-up for me between the Silva LX and the Princeton apex 130, price was a factor in the end, cheapest Silva i could find was just a shade under £90+p&p and the Princeton was around £55 inc p&p but i still may get stung for the duty Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
chris g

chris g

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty2nd January 2009, 9:50 pm

hi mate the guy i got mine off said hed mark it as a gift but a gift is classed as £38 or under Crying or Very sad some thing to do with insurance cover he had to tell them the value itle still be a good buy if you do hav to pay dutys as there £90 + over here i think you wont be dissapointed with the light there great i use mine for everything even downhill mountain biking in the winter
Back to top Go down
gary

gary

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty3rd March 2009, 6:19 pm

I've used the headlamp three or four times now and i am very pleased with it, on high beam the light it produces is probably near to the output of the tiga, i find the lower beam setting more than enough for fishing, i also found the adjustable bracket on the lamp very handy, also light as a feather so very comfortable to wear, all in all a quality bit of kit at a very reasonable price, the only downside is battery life, if used on high beam you will be lucky to get four hours light but using the lamp on the lower settings there's no reason why you shouldn't get three sessions out of a set of batteries, so if your in the market for a new lamp in my opinion this is a cracking bit of kit and i would recommend the Princeton Apex 130
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Headlamps (which one)   Headlamps (which one) Empty

Back to top Go down

Headlamps (which one)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Colwyn Bay Victoria Sea Angling Club :: General Forum-
Jump to: