Colwyn Bay Victoria Sea Angling Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Colwyn Bay Victoria Sea Angling Club

Sea Angling in North Wales

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kev

Kev

Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits. Empty
PostSubject: Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits.   Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits. Empty31st December 2009, 10:51 am

After a few very enjoyable charter trips last summer, i finally made it to one of our clubs boat matches.

The match was fished in the Straits due to the wind.

I was up with the lark, to be greeted by a covering of snow again ( second night running ) This wasnt good news and within minutes Dan was on the phone. He couldnt get the boat out due to the icy conditions, as was the case with one of the other boats. We would have to jump in one of the boats that could make it, so that was our masterplan out of the window.

We met up at the Little Chef at Llandegai and sorted which boats would take who, then proceeded to the launch site at Moel Y Don.

We were on the water for 10am, and I was aboard Sea Pigeon 2 with Mark and Glyn. We headed straight to a mark near Port Dinorwic to try for a Huss. There were loads of Dogs and a few Whiting. Unfortunately the Dogs were all small so after a couple of hours we moved to fish near Pwllfanogl.

We anchored up and started to catch the Dogs as soon as the tide started running again. They were coming in 3 at a time here, along with more small Whiting and a couple of small Codling but the some of the Dogs were a decent size. Competitors were allowed to bring 2 fish to the scales, 1 round and 1 flat and places would be decided by total bag weight. There were reports of Conger and Huss coming to one of the other boats, so we decided to stick it out here for the chance of something decent rather than move again as we were due in at 2.

The time flew by and we continued catching steadily, but nothing bigger than a Dog.

2pm came and we headed in and held the weigh in at the carpark.

Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits. 100_0297

The winner was match organizer Gary Jones with a Conger of over 9lb caught aboard Rosea.

Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits. 100_0300
Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits. 100_0299

Roseas skipper Ian was second with a Huss of just under 5lb. Ian was unlucky to lose a very big Conger that took him to ground so second place was a small consolation.

Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits. 100_0298

Adam Davies was third with a smaller huss of 2-07-00, he was small enough to have fit on Rosea with their crew of 3. I think I was too fat but was more than happy with taking 4th place with the best Dog of the day at 2-05-00. This was better than 2 of the others who had Dabs to go with their Dogs!

Everyone headed home for a wash and a change of clothes before meeting back at the clubhouse for a few beers and the presentation later on.

There was a fantastic spread of prizes, with very nice hampers for the top 3 places.

Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits. 100_0301
Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits. 100_0304
Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits. 100_0303
Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits. 100_0302

The chilli and soup was spot on as usual with the obligatory few pints to wash them down.

I picked up a pack of Stella, a tin of Shortbread and a pack of mince pies for fourth.

Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits. 100_0305

With last nights prizes from the shore match and raffle I don’t think we need to do any Christmas shopping this year.

Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits. 100_0306

I had a great day and am looking forward to getting out again when the boat league starts in the Summer.
Back to top Go down
samfishing

samfishing

Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits.   Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits. Empty31st December 2009, 8:32 pm

excellent report and pictures as normal!!! santa
Back to top Go down

Boat Fur and feather. 20/12/09. Straits.
Page 1 of 1