Colwyn Bay Victoria Sea Angling Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Colwyn Bay Victoria Sea Angling Club

Sea Angling in North Wales

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Boat Match No 10

Go down 
+2
Frank
Kev
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gary

gary

Boat Match No 10 Empty
PostSubject: Boat Match No 10   Boat Match No 10 Empty15th November 2009, 4:44 pm

Boat Match No 10 8/11/2009
Venue Menai Straits

XC/Weather were predicting fresh northerly winds early with conditions improving later in the day so once again we are off to the Menai Straits, we are lucky to have the choice of fishing these sheltered waters, there’s nothing worse than sorting out the bait rigs and getting yourself ready to fish a match then have to cancel because of the weather.
Five boats turned up at the Little Chef to book in so after a quick coffee and a bit of banter we set off to Moel y Don to launch the boats and get the match started, easy launch here but a bit restricted when it comes to parking the vehicles and trailers they have to be parked at the top of the beach above the high water line and space is limited, any more than five or six boats and it becomes very tight, there is a car park but this belongs to the Plas Coch caravan park.
The boats were off to their chosen marks before 9-0am we were only fishing to 15-30hrs today with the light fading at 16-30ish we had to give ourselves time to recover the boats and do the weigh-in. We (Rosea) chose to try drifting the area around the hole at Port Dinorwic hoping to pick up a dab and whiting, we were dead on low water and the flooding tide was yet to start so the wind dictated the direction of the drift pushing us across the hole, not ideal but we did manage a whiting to size, after a couple more drifts without a sniff of a flatty we shot down to the pouting mark, an area of very rough ground lying in just over sixty foot of water on the drop off to the hole at Pwllfanog, there was still very little run so we decided to drift using shrimp rigs baited up with thin slivers of mackerel and squid, on ground as rough as this we find it pays to use an elastic band between the rig and the lead more often than not when snagged up you lose the lead and save the rig then it’s just a matter of a new band and lead and your back fishing in seconds and it’s surprising how strong an elastic band can be, anyway back to the fishing the first drift was fruitless so we changed our track slightly which paid off with a poor cod well in size around the 23cm mark then I had a real nodder on the adapted shrimp rig (I had run a short snood off the bottom of the rig with a size 4 kamasan baited with rag) early thoughts were strap conger but then I thought maybe a decent Huss, I nursed the fish to the surface letting it take line when it wanted and my latter thoughts proved to be correct when Ian scooped the net under what proved to be a very decent Menai Straits Huss of around 7 ½ pounds, once more we changed the track of the drift and Ian took a pouting just under so we knew we were right in the zone, next drift we nailed a pout well in size. We noticed while we doing our drifts all the other boats were fishing in the area of the mini mark just up from the Britannia bridge by the time we had bagged our pout they had moved off so we guessed they had caught what they had gone there for so now it was our turn to have a go at the minis, we anchored a bit lower down from the usual mark we fish here and bites were slow in coming but we did manage to scratch out a tompot and a goby followed by a ballan in size but nowhere near specimen, by my reckoning something was putting them off the feed, so I set up a rig for conger baited with a mackerels head with guts included and lobbed it over within five minutes I had an enquiry I let the fish pick up the bait and run with it then leaned into it setting the hook after a two or three minute struggle Ian netted a nice little strap of around nine or ten pounds, we stayed at this mark for another half an hour or so, Ian took another Ballan a better fish this time with a good chance if going over the 2 ¼ pound specimen weight but the corckwing goldsinney and sea scorpion which we usually take at this mark were not to show today. With the tide now well on the flood we decided to put our cod heads on and try to pull a few out of a mark on the Pwllfanog side, setting the anchor and putting the boat in what we thought was a perfect position we cast out a mixture of baits including fresh crab, mussel sausages, squid and very big lug baits to target the cod, we caught plenty of cod in the 6 – 9 bracket (inches that is) but not one anywhere near the 35cm size limit, the only species we added at this mark was an LSD funny enough we were not plagued with doggies today apparently listening to the other anglers they have moved in their droves down to the Menai Bridge-Beaumaris end of the Straits, don’t know what the attraction is down that end a dog was a bit of a rarity down there at one time. Our final move of the day was over towards the slates at Pwllfanog a mark which can throw up almost anything on it’s day alas today was not to be that day, we lost what looked like a size Pollock at the net when tangled with one of the other rods unfortunately we find out later that that fish would have won us the match but hey that’s fishing.
Back on the beach the boats were loaded on the trailers and made ready for their journey home then we started the weigh-in, it became apparent that a few of the crews had struggled to raise their species count today, this was a crucial match for the two leading boats in the league O2B@C and Bass Hunter were within a few points of each other going into this final match and with Dan and Adam having good form at this venue on the two previous matches the league title looked well within their grasp but even with the help of guest crew Wayne McGill they just couldn’t manage to hang on to their form with Bob and Frank off Bass Hunter bringing 10 species and 1 specimen to the scales and to win the match and take the league title with their 52 points on the day, Ian and Gary off Rosea took second spot with 9 species and 1 specimen for 50 points, they also took the heaviest roundfish pool with that conger of 9-09-04, Lady M took third with 8 species and 1 specimen giving them 44 points, Lady M also took the rollover flatty pool with a very rare dab of 0-08-00, young Lewis Brownson took the junior prize fishing off his dad’s boat Hanna Lou. Lewis also caught a specimen Ballan of 2-05-06.
All in all a very pleasant day and even a bit of autumn sunshine for the last couple of hours, thanks to all who have fished the matches this year, congratulations to Bob and Frank on taking the league and hard luck to Dan and Adam but I think you managed to cling onto 2nd spot in the league.
I will publish the final league positions soon as I get time.

Boat Fur & Feather to be held on Sunday December 20th, Loads of prizes to be presented at the clubhouse.
Back to top Go down
Kev

Kev

Boat Match No 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boat Match No 10   Boat Match No 10 Empty15th November 2009, 10:43 pm

Great report Gary cheers

Well done Frank and Bob cheers and hard luck to Dan and Adam Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Frank

Boat Match No 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boat Match No 10   Boat Match No 10 Empty16th November 2009, 2:39 pm

Boat Match No 10 Icon_cheers Great report as always Gary,and im sure I speak for everyone in thanking you for all the time and work you put in for the boat section,looking forward to the fur and feather Boat Match No 10 Icon_cheers
tight lines.
Back to top Go down
geoff

geoff

Boat Match No 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boat Match No 10   Boat Match No 10 Empty16th November 2009, 5:45 pm

what a great report
must admit tempted to give these comps a go next year my self
Back to top Go down
http://prestatyn-sc.co.uk/
Dan

Dan

Boat Match No 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boat Match No 10   Boat Match No 10 Empty16th November 2009, 6:17 pm

Congratulations to Bob and Frank Very Happy We'll have to pull our fingers out next year! It's hard work carrying the other half on the boat isn't it Frank! Big thanks to Gary aswell, you've done that good a job, it'll be a shame to give it to any one else next year Laughing cheers
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

Boat Match No 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boat Match No 10   Boat Match No 10 Empty16th November 2009, 6:21 pm

geoff wrote:
what a great report
must admit tempted to give these comps a go next year my self

It'll be good to get a few more boats fishing, you'll have a good laugh if you decide to fish a few matches. Hope to see you next year.
Back to top Go down
geoff

geoff

Boat Match No 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boat Match No 10   Boat Match No 10 Empty16th November 2009, 8:25 pm

What is the score do I have to join a club to join in the comps
Don’t think it would be a problem
Due to the fact that I am such a likeable chap Very Happy
I am part of Prestatyn sailing club and there are a few lads who are looking to get in a couple of comps over the next year
Thanks again
Back to top Go down
samfishing

samfishing

Boat Match No 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boat Match No 10   Boat Match No 10 Empty16th November 2009, 8:35 pm

excellent report (as normal!)
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

Boat Match No 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boat Match No 10   Boat Match No 10 Empty17th November 2009, 10:13 am

geoff wrote:
What is the score do I have to join a club to join in the comps
Don’t think it would be a problem
Due to the fact that I am such a likeable chap Very Happy
I am part of Prestatyn sailing club and there are a few lads who are looking to get in a couple of comps over the next year
Thanks again

To fish the matches you have to be a member of cbvsac. Membership forms can be found on this website printed off and retuned to the address provided . Off the top of my head I think its £15 for a years membership which includes free launching in conwy if you apply for a permit from the Conwy harbour masters office . The enrty fee for each match is £5 per person which goes towards the prize money for each match. The matches normally run from may-nov and we also have our xmas fur and feather with loads of prizes for everyone. Hope this helps and if you need any more info just ask. Very Happy There's plenty of ugly mugs on here that will help you out lol!

The membership normally runs from aprill-aprill
Back to top Go down
gary

gary

Boat Match No 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boat Match No 10   Boat Match No 10 Empty17th November 2009, 10:48 pm

Hi Geoff
Dan has got it nearly all covered there apart from a couple of small points, for new members there is a small joining fee of 2 pound so 17pound in total, if you were to take up membership and joined on the 1st January 2010 your membership would then not be due for renewal until end of March 2011.
On the boat scene there is not a lot going on until May(apart from the boat section meeting held at the clubhouse Rhos on Sea to decide on the match dates, venues and any rule changes, oh yeh and it's a good excuse to get blathered drunken drunken ). On the shore scene there is a good winter series of matches running from January through to March, 5 matches making up the league, helps me to keep my sanity through the long winter months.
I see your a member of the Prestatyn sailing club, looks like a nice little setup you have down there maybe we could sort out a friendly comp down there for next year sometime Question
Trying to make out the boat in your avatar, looks like a leeward 18 to me but it could be an Orkney Longliner when you look at it with my eyes Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
geoff

geoff

Boat Match No 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boat Match No 10   Boat Match No 10 Empty18th November 2009, 6:20 pm

Hi Gary
Defo up for a comp between the clubs
We have around 3 a year which is a shame and then have a couple which run the whole year
I am the commodore this year so I am trying to promote the club were I can and get new and old members down.
We have a great set up and it’s even better when it’s getting used and that’s what we all want to happen
This year we have a new fishing captain who is keen to get thing up and running and has been on the seen for many a year.(Steve Parry)

The boat is a Leeward 18 had about 6months was thinking of changing to a Arvor 20 but changed my mind as this works for beach launch

Will be in touch soon
Geoff

Boat Match No 10 Leeward004
Back to top Go down
gary

gary

Boat Match No 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boat Match No 10   Boat Match No 10 Empty18th November 2009, 7:35 pm

Lovely boat you have there Geoff, like a mini charter boat, do you do hot pies and pasties for the crew Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
geoff

geoff

Boat Match No 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boat Match No 10   Boat Match No 10 Empty18th November 2009, 8:34 pm

Laughing No mate only Bacon and sausage Butties Laughing

Rolling Eyes funny I allways manage to get crew
Back to top Go down
gary

gary

Boat Match No 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boat Match No 10   Boat Match No 10 Empty18th November 2009, 9:59 pm

geoff wrote:
Laughing No mate only Bacon and sausage Butties Laughing

Rolling Eyes funny I allways manage to get crew

That comes as no surprise Geoff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Boat Match No 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boat Match No 10   Boat Match No 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Boat Match No 10
Page 1 of 1